The heart is the engine that keeps a body running. It pumps blood to every part of the body and keeps it functioning like a well-oiled machine. It is essential to keep your heart healthy and strong. A healthy lifestyle reduces the chances of cardiovascular diseases and helps your heart work most efficiently. Cardiovascular or heart disease is on the rise in our country with more and more young people suffering from disease owing to the increasing stress and fast-paced lifestyle.
A lot of doctors suggest making certain basic changes in your lifestyle to improve your health and make your heart stronger, especially after a certain age when the risks are much higher. Here are a few things you should always keep in mind:
- Eat Right & Exercise: An active lifestyle along with a healthy diet can do wonders for your heart. Indulge in some activity like walks, playing a sport, dancing or working out in your daily routine. A sedentary life can be harmful to your heart. Eat healthy fats and avoid trans fat along with portion control and add fruits and vegetables to your diet for more fiber and the right dosage of vitamins and minerals.
- Quit Smoking: Smoking is not just bad for your lungs but also can cause irreversible damage to your heart. Smoking is a major cause of coronary heart disease which can lead to heart attack. It is, in fact, considered one of the top controllable risks factors in case of heart disease. Avoiding tobacco can be a great way to take care of your health.
- Choose Stress-Relieving Hobbies: Stress can be one of the biggest reasons for heart diseases. Picking up hobbies like knitting, listening to calming music, watching fun movies or simply walking around greenery can help relieve stress and keep you happy.
- Get Proper Sleep: Those who don’t get enough sleep are at a higher risk of contracting cardiovascular diseases. Getting proper, restful sleep is essential for good health, overall. Sleeping less than the required hours can lead to fluctuations in blood pressure and inflammation.
- Get Regular Check-ups: Go for regular check-ups to ensure your heart is working to its full capacity without any troubles. Keep a constant check on your levels of blood pressure, blood sugar and cholesterol. In case of any issues, go for an angiogram or angiography and further tests to get to the roots of the problem and consult a heart specialist.
It is vital to ensure that you follow a healthy lifestyle and take precautionary measures to avoid cardiovascular issues and other health diseases in the future. However, in case of any symptoms or signs of trouble, it is a necessity to seek medical advice from professionals. ILS Hospitals are one of the leading hospitals in Kolkata for cardiovascular treatment and have an outpatient department in case of emergencies. For regular check-ups or consultations, visit us and stay healthy.
For further details, visit www.ilshospitals.com.